Redecorating your home for the winter season doesn't have to mean changing your entire color scheme, bringing in all new home textiles, painting in seasonal colors, or any other project that can potentially incur a large cost and a big chunk of your time.
Instead, grab a few pine cones from your yard or your local nursery or craft store and try one or more of these DIY pine cone decorating ideas. Any one of the ideas listed below can be done at minimal cost and require minimal time and effort.
1. Make a Pine Cone Wreath This option will take some more time and creative juices, but still shouldn't cost much money. You will need a couple small pine cones, perhaps some holly or feathers, and some fake leaves, as well as a hot glue gun and/or string to keep everything in place.
Tip: Lay everything out before you start attaching the pine cones and other decorative items to the wreath base, which you can find at just about any arts and crafts store. This will save time and money in the long run by helping you avoid making any mistakes and having to re-purchase anything.
2. Make a Pine Cone Centerpiece A DIY centerpiece is a quick and easy project you can complete in no time. All you need is a bowl or serving tray. Place the pine cones in the vessel by themselves or add a flameless candle, fake leaves or holly to create a beautiful and colorful centerpiece for your dining room table. This can also be a decorative accent for your end tables in your living room or night stand in your bedroom.
3. Combine Painted Pine Cones in Bowls Spray paint or brush paint onto pine cones. Add glitter for a more shimmery look. Put multi-colored pine cones into a bowl together and leave them on your coffee table and end tables in your sitting room. Be sure to use a good quality bowl. This project will take very little time to complete but will make for a lovely decorative addition to your space.
4. DIY Garland From your local craft store, you should easily find what you need to make this in just an hour or so. We recommend pine tree inspired garland, fake holly berries, pine cones, decorative ribbon and a hot glue gun. Along the length of the garland, glue your pine cones, berries, and ribbons and let it sit for a couple hours to dry fully. Then place it along your mantle, down railings or anywhere you want to create a festive holiday look.
Tip: Paint some of your pine cones in white to give it a snowy look, and choose ribbons in bright reds with holiday prints. Add string lights for that little something extra.
5. Front Door/Entryway Decor Hang some pine cones from fishing line, strings, invisible thread or whatever suits your style. Mix up the lengths so that you create an interesting dimension at your front door. Add some chimes or other winter-inspired items to complete the look.
There really are so many ways you can add pine cones to your home decor in a tasteful way that will look great throughout the Winter season. Any one of the DIY projects listed above will give your home that much sought after cozy feeling and can be done in less time and for less money than just about any other seasonal redecorating project.
Have any other ideas? Tell us about the DIY pine cone decor projects you're working on in the comments section.