How long has it been since you have updated the look of your living room? According to CNN Money, Americans spend nearly three hours, on average, per day on the couch, so it’s definitely a room you ought to keep looking fresh.
Changing the look of your living room can be very costly and time-consuming if you do a complete overhaul. Luckily, that’s not necessary.
If you have functional and comfortable furniture, a paint color that works with every season and floors that are in good shape, you can easily update your living room quickly and inexpensively.
1. Add decorative pillows. If you do nothing else, change your decorative pillows at least once each season. Decorative pillows are the cheapest and easiest way to transform the look of your room. A tip: don’t match your pillows to your sofa, as they will just blend in. Use complementary or tertiary colors instead.
2. Change your window treatments. This is a great way to add a bright color or a pattern in a very tasteful way. It’s also a great way to add texture if you choose a fabric like velvet, which is perfect in the colder months.
3. Add a throw. Especially in the cooler months, it is nice to wrap yourself up with your loved ones on the couch. But when you’re not using the throw, it looks great draped over the back or side of the couch. Like with your window treatments, adding a throw is an excellent way to add a small pop of color or a pattern without overtaking the room.
4. Renew, don’t replace. Instead of replacing older furniture or reupholstering your chair or sofa, you can save a lot of money by purchasing a furniture protector or slip cover. This is the quickest, easiest and most cost-effective way to improve the look of your furniture. Go bold with a very bright color or a “loud” pattern, or go more for a more calming look with a neutral color and subtle pattern.
5. Put down an area rug. Yes, you can do this even if you have a carpeted floor. No matter your floor type, an area rug will instantly give the room a whole new look and add boundaries to the living space.
Imagine how your living room looks now. And now imagine how much nicer your living room will look with new curtains and a new look on your couch where you spend nearly an eighth of your day. These simple and inexpensive changes can be made in a single afternoon.
We’d love to see your before and after photos. Show us your living room makeover on social media with the hashtag #LushDecorLivingRoom.
Guest Blog: Decorative Tips to Make Your House Feel More Like Home
When it comes to making a house feel like a home, the little decorative touches can make a significant difference. By adding personal touches and incorporating cozy elements, you can transform your living space into a warm and inviting sanctuary.
Interior Designer Remya Warrior is a business owner and space planning expert who has specialized in kitchen design for over a decade. She spoke with us about her work, what inspires her, and some tips for homeowners who may be taking on a design project.
Guest Blog: 11 Vintage Design Trends We’re Happy to See Again in Our Homes
What’s in style for the season? It should surprise no one that what once was old is new again. Vintage design trends are all the rage, and some of the looks of yesteryear can transform your abode into the cozy palace of your dreams.