The thought of moving into your first home can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. You might find yourself getting caught up in the emotion instead of making preparations and starting off well in your new place. You should relax. Inhale and exhale slowly.
Decorating a house takes time. It’s important to note that you won’t have everything in mind when decorating your house. You will start generating ideas once you start decorating the house. Creating your dream home takes time. This article will make everything easier for you by sharing six great tips for decorating your first home.
1. Get Organized When moving out, most people realize that they carried a lot of things which should have been left behind. Moving it wasted a lot of time, money and energy. You should not carry what you’ll never use. You can avoid the stress when moving out by decluttering right now. When it’s time to move out, you’ll be prepared to pack your things without frustration.
Get organized today. Avoid the last minute rush. The ideal time to start organizing your stuff is at least two months or eight weeks before the scheduled moving date. Have a room where you’ll put things that need to be thrown out, or which can be donated or recycled.
2. Invest In Classic Furniture One common challenge people face is moving their furniture to the new house. In most instances they discover that the old furniture does not match with the new home. You don’t have to move with your furniture if it doesn’t look good in your house. Sell all of the pieces and invest in classic furniture instead. They are usually simple and neutral in color.
Also, invest in expandable and foldable furniture. After moving in, buy some colored pieces to improve the look of your neutral furniture. It’s easier to buy colored pillows or rugs than to replace a good sofa.
3. Invest In Light Furniture In the past, people loved heavy furniture. The heavier it was, the better was its quality. But that’s not the case today. Manufacturing processes have been adjusted and improved over the years. You can have light and good quality furniture today.
You don’t need to tire yourself moving the giant sofa up the stairs. Before buying a sofa, consider its quality and weight. Also, think of buying furniture that is easy to transport. Again, light furniture makes it easier for you to clean or rearrange it.
4. Simplify Your New Home Most people fall in love with their old homes after they’ve been staged to sell. They never realized how beautiful their home was until that moment. It’s just like a relationship; you never you love her till you let her go. What’s the secret that transformed your old home?
The answer is simplicity. To create your model home, you only need to have the most important things that blend together in a magical way. Put away everything in its place. Let your home radiate its fragrance and serenity. Make minor changes and adjustments after a few weeks or months. You’ll be amazed by the results.
5. Think Before Buying When you move into your new home, you’ll want to buy everything you’ve been eyeing for years. It’s very tempting; however, instead of buying everything that impresses you, take a picture of it and think about it. Do you really need it?
Take your time before investing in expensive items such as sofas and tables. You probably know that buying something expensive makes you spend a lot more because you’ll have to make major adjustments for everything to match in your house. Think about it.
6. Don’t Wait, Just Do It! After moving in, it’s easy to fall into the trap of postponing the decorations. In fact, most people don’t unpack their boxes for years. When you start postponing things, you’ll never do them. The secret to decorating your house is to get started right now. Tomorrow never comes. Create a daily routine to decorate and organize your house.
If you have any pending decoration projects such as painting or flooring, do them before moving in or immediately after moving in. The more you stay without decorating, the more difficult it becomes to start. After moving in, unpack everything and start decorating slowly. You don’t need to paint the entire house in one day. Paint one section every day. After one month, you’ll be amazed by the progress you’ll have made.
In addition to everything above, you should consider buying some indoor plants to breathe life into your space. Your dream home is here. All you need to do is start decorating it step by step. Don’t be in a hurry because you might end up messing things up big time. Take your time and think about everything critically before investing your money. Remember, simplicity is key.
About the Author:
Lilian Chifley is a professional blogger and proofreader for college paper writer and BrillAssignment. She loves styling homes and sharing great tips on how to create an ideal home her blog. During her free time, you’ll find her mentoring college students on Bestdissertation or playing with her two lovely dogs.