You have a favorite old quilt that you simply don’t want to get rid of, but it’s too old or possibly too ragged to continue using on your bed. What do you do? We say repurpose it.
If you are handy with a sewing machine or a knitting needle, these projects should be fairly simple to complete.
1. DIY Decorative Pillows Depending on the size of the pillows you want and the size of your quilt, you should be able to cut the quilt and create at least two or three pillows. Stick to square or rectangle shapes for ease, rather than circular or oval shapes.
Close up three sides of the pillows and stuff it with whatever filling you like, such as foam, feathers, cotton, or a blend. Once it is stuffed to your liking, close them up and throw them on your sofa or bed to enjoy your cherished quilt in a whole new way.
2. Make It Into Doll Clothing An easy way to keep your family quilt in the family is to pass it on to your daughter or niece in the form of shirts, skirts, booties, dresses, accessories and more for her favorite dolls or stuffed animals. A quick Google search will provide you with all kinds of templates to cut and sew clothing in the right size for all her favorite toys.
3. Create Bags Carry your quilt with you everywhere you go. Turn it into a handy tote bag, a reusable grocery bag, or a travel bag.
4. Turn It Into Framed Art If your quilt has a decorative design, cut a section of it and put it into a nice frame for your wall or your mantel. Don’t go smaller than 8 inches by 10 inches if you want to avoid it blending in instead of standing out in your room. If you have enough fabric left, you can also create a set of matching coasters for your coffee table and end tables.
5. Make a Tree Skirt or Stockings Save your special quilt for use only during the holidays by cutting the fabric to make a Christmas tree skirt or holiday stockings.
6. Give It To Your Pets If you don’t care to cut or sew your quilt, consider your pets. Furry family members love lying on soft items that smell like their people.
For many, family quilts hold high sentimental value. Don’t throw away your old quilt if it starts to fray or becomes tattered. Use the ideas above to repurpose it into something you can continue to use and enjoy with your family.
Have any other ideas? Share them in the comments section below.
Guest Blog: The Dos and Don’ts of Bathroom Tile Design
Bathroom tiles play a crucial role in creating a functional and aesthetically pleasing space. It's easy to get overwhelmed with such a variety of options out there. By sticking to a few simple dos and don'ts, you can make informed decisions and create a beautiful bathroom that suits your style and needs.
When it comes to home decor, some trends come and go, while others stand the test of time. Stripes are a classic example of an enduring trend that is, right now, having a moment in home decor design! From bold and vibrant to subtle and elegant, their versatility and simplicity make stripes easy to love and fun to work into your decor profile.